Rise above the waves: A legal issues workshop for volunteer managers
- by Volunteer Hub
- September 5, 2018
27th September 2018, Sydney. Does your community organisation engage volunteers? Do you know the legal differences between paid and unpaid workers? Feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all?
A one day (10am-5pm) workshop by The NSW Centre for Volunteering and Justice Connect provides essential training for anyone in a position of managing or co-ordinating volunteers. Presented by a lawyer from not-for-profit law with expertise in volunteer law and experiences delivering training to community organisations the topics will include:
- The key legal differences between a volunteer, an employee and an independent contractor (and other ‘statuses’ like work for the dole participants, mutual obligation volunteering, internships etc.);
- The volunteer selection process and anti-discrimination laws;
- The importance of volunteer screening and background checks;
- The ‘duty of care’ an organisation owes to and for its volunteers;
- Volunteers and risk management;
- The importance of volunteer insurance;
- Reimbursing or paying volunteers;
- Volunteers’ personal information and privacy;
- Reviewing volunteer performance and having difficult conversations; and
- Ending the volunteer relationship.
The aim, upon completion of training, is that participants will understand how the law applies to volunteers and the implications this has for volunteer management practices.
- MAY 27, 2022
- 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
PCNSW Education Day 2022
We are thrilled to be holding our first Education Day since 2019. Please jo...Read more
- JUNE 8, 2022
- 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
NSW Network of Managers of Palliative Care Volunteer Services
The role of the Network is to ensure best practice for NSW Managers of Pall...Read more
- JUNE 20 - JUNE 21, 2022
- 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Volunteer Manager Conference 2022
The NSW Network of Managers of Palliative Care Volunteers and the Volunteer...Read more
Become a member of Palliative Care NSW
Palliative Care New South Wales is the peak body in NSW representing palliative care providers and those with an interest in palliative care. Palliative Care New South Wales is a member of the national peak body Palliative Care Australia.
Join today and receive discounts, benefits and more!
Special member rate available for volunteers.
Subscribe to our eNews
Be the first to know our latest new, events, and research!SUBSCRIBE TO ENEWS